One of the common triggers for a respiratory allergy are house dust mites. Exposure to it’s waste products cause reactions which manifest as allergic rhinitis and / or bronchial asthma. Symptoms of allergic rhinitis include a runny nose (which may also be blocked), sneezing, and watery eyes. Symptoms of an asthmatic attack to watch out for include coughing fits, wheezing, shortness of breath and chest tightness. By convention, the general advice given is to avoid the triggering allergen in addition to taking medications (commonly anti-histamines) for symptom control. In severe cases, these methods may not be as effective.
ACARIZAX is a medicine used to treat allergic rhinitis and related allergic asthma specifically caused by house dust mites. It is a standardised allergen extract from the house dust mites Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus and Dermatophagoides farina. ACARIZAX works by improving your body’s tolerance to house dust mites, and in turn reduces your allergy symptoms over time. It comes in a tablet form that is taken by placing under the tongue.
Indications for sublingual immunotherapy:
- Ages 5 – 65 years old
- Persistent moderate to severe allergic rhinitis
- Allergic rhinitis with atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Allergic asthma with well-controlled lung function
- Patients with uncontrolled asthma
- Severe asthma exacerbation within the last 3 months
- Acute respiratory tract infection (postpone initiation of sublingual immunotherapy)
- Active or poorly controlled autoimmune diseases, immune defects, immunodeficiencies, immunosuppression or malignant neoplastic diseases
- Acute severe oral inflammation or oral wounds
- Pregnancy and lactation
Method of administration:
1. The tablet is placed under the tongue (sublingual approach)
2. Kept under the tongue for 1 minute (do not swallow)
3. No food or beverages for 5 minutes
4. Once a day therapy
It is recommended by various international guidelines to continue the treatment for at least 3 years to attain long-term efficacy of up to 9 years. At least 8 – 14 weeks will pass before there is an improvement in symptoms, and you will continue to see benefits over time. Please make an appointment to consult with our doctors to get the best advice on this life-changing form of therapy for allergy sufferers.