Glutathione is an antioxidant produced in cells. It consists largely of three amino acids which are glutamine, glycine and cysteine. It can help to combat free radicals where these free radical molecules can damage our body’s healthy cells. It means that glutathione can help to detoxify chemicals that are harmful to our bodies.
However, glutathione levels in the body may reduce when we get older. Someone might have low glutathione levels if they have poor nutrition or are exposed to environmental toxins or stress.
Generally, glutathione will be produced naturally by our body. If glutathione is low in our body, glutathione can be given via oral supplement, intravenously, topically or as an inhalant.
Why do people take glutathione supplements?
Most people take glutathione for its antioxidant effect and as a detoxification agent. Patients with HIV, diabetes, cancer or autoimmune disease also take glutathione to promote a better immune system. Couples who are trying to get pregnant are also advised to take glutathione supplements.
What are the benefits of Glutathione?
- Reduce oxidative stress:
- Oxidative stress occurs when there is an imbalance between the production of free radicals and the body’s ability to fight them off. Oxidative stress may be a precursor to multiple diseases like diabetes, cancer and rheumatoid arthritis if it is too high. Glutathione can help to stave off the impact of oxidative stress, as a result, can help to reduce the chance of getting chronic diseases.
- Reduces cell damage in alcoholic and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Insufficient glutathione may lead to cell death in the liver. This can lead to fatty liver disease with or without alcohol intake.
- Glutathione has been shown to improve protein, enzyme and bilirubin levels in the blood of patients with alcoholic and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Improve insulin resistance in older people
- We produce less glutathione when we become older. Glutathione is shown to help in weight management and improve insulin resistance in older people. It helps with fat burning, which leads to a reduction in body weight.
- Improve psoriasis
- Some studies show that glutathione can help to improve psoriasis condition.
- Increases mobility for people with peripheral artery diseases
- Glutathione improves circulation. Thus, it can help in peripheral artery disease where the arteries are clogged by plaque. Glutathione will help with circulation and be able to help patients to walk more distance without pain.
- Reduce symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease affects the central nervous system where it will cause symptoms such as tremors and rigidity. Studies show that glutathione will bring positive effects on tremors and rigidity and improve the quality of life in Parkinson’s patients.
- Help to fight against autoimmune diseases
- Autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease or lupus will cause chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation will increase oxidative stress. Glutathione reduces oxidative stress and can help to reduce body’s immunological response.
- Help battle Covid-19
- Studies show that covid-19 causes increased levels of oxidative stress and oxidant damage. By supplying glutathione, it will help to reduce the inflammation caused by the virus and make the treatment for covid-19 more effective.